Disclaimer: If you have yet to watch the latest episode of Power or don’t watch it at all, you should probably just click out of this now because you won’t “feel” my pain or understand anything that I’m preaching about.
As I sat on my couch one morning this week going over bank accounts, balancing the checking, savings, and bills, walking my husband through otherwise intelligible tasks, ordering my son’s school uniform, and then figuring out what I would use to create magic and invent a well-balanced nutritional breakfast for my children, I began to think about just how much wives do for their families, and began to ponder on this past week’s episode of Power. I immediately got a knot in my stomach and wanted to punch somebody.
Here’s the thing, while we all absolutely love and go bat shit crazy for this show; with its electrifying plots, rough neck urban-chic gangster vibe, and thrilling twists and turns, we continually allow the red flag to go over our heads that in the interim of this scintillating entertainment, there is a family being destroyed and a marriage being diabolically disrespected.
A lot of people like to separate Ghost vs. James St. Patrick and give some brilliant bullshit synopsis of why Jamie turned to Angie, and how Ghost was exhausted from his street life, leading him to turn away from his Wife. Fail! It’s this little thing called personal responsibility and accountability. You not being happy with your marriage/relationship is one thing. You not being happy with yourSELF and the alter ego You chose to create is another. At what point do you become a man and start being honest about your mess? He can cry that river all he wants to, build a boat, then float off to sea and get the f*ck outta my face with that BS! (Please pardon my language but we’re talking Love & War here) I’m not buying into the melodramatics nor am I here for any parts of Jamie and Angie’s dysfunctionally absurd relationship.
This Wife isn’t Team Angie and let me tell you why…
- Death to Side Chicks – Let me just go ahead and get this out now so y’all can be mad at me and then get over it. I don’t do side chicks. I don’t condone the practice, you, or your ministry; and nope I am not talking about girlfriend/boyfriend relationships. I am speaking in terms of marriage. Dating a married man. A man who you know is married. A man who you know is legally, emotionally, financially, psychologically, and otherwise tied to another whole woman. A man that is not yours. Before you tell me that I’m rude and judgmental, know that I am also very transparent. Have I dated somebody else’s boyfriend?? Of course I have! I was like 23, in college, still paying my rent with refund checks, and drinking Mad Dog 20/20. He didn’t own a nightclub, live in a penthouse suite, and have three children and a wife either. There was no broken homes, joint bank accounts, traumatized offspring, alimony, private-school tuition, or mortgages to think about. You get my drift?? I won’t now, nor will I ever, have an ounce of care and respect for a woman who thinks she can find her life and happiness in someone else’s man. Those of you who didn’t know he was married, bless your hearts and we’ll counsel you at a later time. For that other pathetic half, know that I have a coke, a smile, and my .22 waiting on you if you think for half a minute that my Mr is about to become apart of your happy ending.
- Ain’t Nothing Better Than P*ssy, Except New P*ssy – I’m a married woman but I ain’t stupid! We have heard this line several times, and several men will attest to this notion. This also very heavily proves my point. Boo Boo Kitty was some new stuff, with a bonus of being someone whom he previously knew and seemingly trusted (sex-wise at least). We’re talking about a man who otherwise probably didn’t have time to find something random to be running up in besides his wife. Then here presents this perfectly packaged punanny, wrapped in an unadulterated clueless blast of infidelity called Angie. Not only do you get to explore a new womanly aura, you get to do so in lavish hotel suites, without kids in the next room, and under the guise that you all will live happily ever after in blasé bliss.
- The Woman That Knows Nothing & Asks No Questions Isn’t the Real MVP – Every married man has that one gripe with us wives. We want and need to know what the hell is going on, and we will stay on your ass until we are given the information that is needed. We are the ones that won’t let you keep secrets, hide significant portions of your life, tell us any ole thing, or sell us a damn dream. We fill out the important paperwork you don’t wanna be bothered with, make sure the presentations are sent to your boss on time, know the lawyer and the best friend and how to get in contact with them when shit goes down, and run interference on all of your business matters to make sure things run smoothly. You damn right we aren’t going to be the easy breezy, goofball knucklehead that lets you get away with murder!! Angie banged Jamie for almost two full seasons before she even knew his real identity and that she was in bed with the same person she was trying to take down. You do the math on that one. I digress…
- You Don’t Get to Live Happily Ever After With What I’ve Built Up – This is a serious one here! Ma’am, I have endured years of bad credit, financial instability, riding in a hoopty, eating Ramen noodles, smashing in random places, and loving unconditionally for you to come swoop up the upgraded, new model of all my dirt, sweat and tears!! He wasn’t always “Ghost” and didn’t become such by himself! If we choose to remember the whole story on Ms. Valdez and Mr. St. Patrick, we’ll remember that she supposedly up and left homeboy when ish got rough for him, and she got access to better opportunities for her life. His Wife is who was down with him from the bottom and helped him to build that empire. His Wife is who attends the monthly meetings at the bank, reviews their legit finances, signs off on the accounts, runs his home, raises his children, attends pertinent business outings as his partner, knows the major players in both businesses and how to run them, makes sure the dirty money is cleaned and the dropped bodies are never discovered, and will do whatever is necessary when the necessary occurs…You don’t get to walk away from the person who has held your raggedy butt down before you became the powerhouse that you are. She also doesn’t get to reap the benefits of what I’ve worked for without having to get her hands dirty! Relationships based in rainbows and purple moons don’t last. Hence the fact that Ghost and James St. Patrick had to leave Angela Valdez alone and take both of their asses back home!
- Our Children Don’t Deserve the Messy Outcome – One of the biggest disturbances of a broken family is the effect it has on the kids. No one seems to think about this when we’re sneaking on a vacation with that outside person, or telling them how much we love and adore them and are willing to leave our spouses for them. You see, our children actually get it the worst because nine times out of ten they never saw it coming and are given this outrageously horrifying news at a point where all decisions have been made and the damage is already done. They have no say so and feel powerless, unloved, and unimportant. All that Ghost’s kids got to see was a new woman who wasn’t Mommy, whom Daddy had moved on with, and that they now had to pretend they liked. That’s not fair and you won’t put my kids through it for a fantasy land affair! I didn’t birth three of your children to split them in three parts with another completely aloof undeserving person who doesn’t honor that stature.
When it’s all said and done, there will be several sides and points of view for this scenario. There are women who have been on both sides of the spectrum, and those who haven’t. There will be some that have an opposing outlook to mine, and that’s just fine. I came here today, however, to tell you why THIS wife just ain’t for it!!!